POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just ask Google : Re: Just ask Google Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just ask Google
From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jul 2012 10:34:41
Message: <50057801@news.povray.org>

>>> for this one, it's easier to look for the actual httpd.conf commands
>>> that tell Apache to use your custom CGI binary.
>>>
>>> "web hosting" "option +execCGI" "addHandler"
>>
>> I don't think I've come across a web host that lets you actually touch
>> the Apache configuration files. (And not all hosts even use Apache in
>> the first place, of course...)
>
> Then how do you plan on having said web hosting service run your binary?

I *said* it was a hard problem. ;-)

Typically the host sets up a special folder, and any files within it are
considered to be CGI scripts in whatever language the server is
hard-coded to accept. (Or /maybe/ based on the filename.) Presumably
you'd have to find a host that allows executable binaries...

(And yes, you'd need to know whether the host runs Windows or Linux, in
order to compile the correct binary.)