POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just ask Google : Re: Just ask Google Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just ask Google
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 17 Jul 2012 08:56:37
Message: <50056105$1@news.povray.org>

> Fact: Google does not answer questions. Actually, it generates lists of
> web pages containing words similar to the ones you typed in.
>
> Due to this, certain kinds of question are very easy to answer with
> Google, and certain other kinds of question are almost impossible to
> answer.

In the 90s, there was a band called "Live" who appeared on MTV's
"unplugged" tv show.  Try finding it on Youtube for fun! Searching for
"Live unplugged" is akin to using *.* at a DOS prompt.

> For example, type in the model number of just about any piece of
> computer hardware, and Google will find the product page for it, if one
> exists. (Hell, it can probably still find it even if it no longer exists
> today, so long as it /once/ existed. Various sites cache this stuff,
> after all...)

Along with 35856 places that sell it, and 327564763433 autogenerated
pages that try to lure you to click on their ads.

> Historically, various names involving unusual punctuation were quite
> hard to search for. (E.g., C, C#, .NET and so on.) Presumably Google
> have now individually special-cased every single one of these into their
> search engine.
>
> But some things are not so easy to search for. For example, suppose I
> want to find companies that offer service X. Well, that's pretty easy.
> But now suppose I want companies that offer service X, having properties
> A, B, C, D, not E or F, and property G. How the hell do I do that?

X A B C D -E -F G