POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : difference bug : Re: difference bug Server Time
17 May 2024 08:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difference bug
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jul 2012 18:35:58
Message: <5004974e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.07.2012 21:21, schrieb Chaanakya:
> I'm not sure exactly where this bug lies, but pinning it on difference seems to
> be the most logical thing.  Here's some sample code:

This is actually not really a bug, but merely a (currently) inevitable
limitation: When tracing a ray from some surface, POV-Ray must make sure
to ignore intersections with the very same or a coincident surface. To
be robust against rounding errors, it does this by comparing the
distance to the intersection with a certain minimum distance threshold.

The threshold was changed during the development of 3.7 (I'm not sure
why though).