POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Setting the SYS file type : Re: Setting the SYS file type Server Time
27 Apr 2024 17:35:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Setting the SYS file type
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jul 2012 09:25:20
Message: <50017340$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.07.2012 14:05, schrieb Jonathan:

> So, how do I tell Povray 3.7 RC 6 that the SYS file type on this platform [1] is
> Targa?

Only way is to modify the source code.

Locate the file "syspovconfig.h" in the "vfe/unix" directory; add the
following lines right before the final "#endif // __SYSPOVCONFIG_H__" line:

---------------------------------
#define POV_IS1                             ".tga"
#define POV_IS2                             ".TGA"
#define POV_SYS_FILE_EXTENSION              ".tga"
#define SYS_TO_STANDARD                     TGA
#define SYS_HAS_ALPHA
---------------------------------

Locate the file "syspovconfigfrontend.h" in the same directory, and
remove the following line:

#define SYS_HAS_GRAYSCALE		// ...

Rebuild POV-Ray, and it should work as desired.

You may also want to inform the authors of CYCAS that what they're doing
there is poor practice, and that they should output "tga" instead of
"sys". (The "sys" file type is actually a legacy from the days when
preferred image formats differed widely between platforms, and were
typically non-portable.)