POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What are Pov-Ray and ray tracing? : Re: What are Pov-Ray and ray tracing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What are Pov-Ray and ray tracing?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 5 Jul 2000 17:20:31
Message: <4no6ms8euseqtu5n04gahv5sufbaur24c7@4ax.com>
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:36:56 -0400, "Walter" <wal### [at] 7staJFHKgescom>
wrote:

<snip>

>My basic question is: If you were a virtually a complete newbie to graphics
>except as noted above,

I hate to interrupt, but I wouldn't call you a complete newbie. Gee, I
wish I had any idea about colors and composition.

>and had to learn and do cute, but often elaborate,
>illustrations of Revelation (dragon, beasts, four and twenty elders, seven
>lamps of fire, the New Jerusalem--to mention but a few), what would be your
>program(s) of choice?

>In particular, would you favor Pov-Ray over Paint Shop Pro or vice versa?

None. The computer and software are but mere tools of your creativity,
think of them as (very) expensive paintbrushes. Learn to use the best
of each worlds. I would recommend using POV for the basic setup,
lighting etc. because it's easier to model perspective and realistic
lighting this way. Then, with the basic shapes set up, you can start
drawing over that in PaintShop Pro (or PhotoShop), using the render as
a framework. Of course you can incorporate full renders in your
pictures if this is the easier way to achieve a particular effect or
paste a particular object. Things that come to mind are orbs, wooden
tables, stones, sunbeams etc. You can also use PSP and PS to blend,
mask, post-process and merge different images into one.

If your budget allows it, I would recommend getting Painter (I think
6.0 is the latest version). It is extremely suitable for achieving a
real-life look, be it pencil, charcoal or watercolor. It is nor in the
low pricerange but I think there is a demo available.

I would also recommend a good tablet (if you don't already own one) if
you're planning to hand-draw any parts.

I have seen the aforementioned approach put to good use in real work.
I know some of the people who made the game Tzar: The Burden of the
Crown and I have talked with them about they way the game art (tiles,
units, buildings, still images etc.) and that's exactly what they told
me. The pictures starts on the designer's table as a set of sketches,
then the 3D people model and render it in 3D Studio MAX and then the
artists hand-draw over that render in PhotoShop and Painter.

>My current plan is to continue learning Paint Shop Pro, setting aside
>Pov-Ray for now, and picking it up when I feel comfortable with Paint Shop
>Pro. I am, however, open to other opinions.

May I also suggest trying out Moray? I myself am a hand-coder but I
know it's easier for some users to use a visual modelling environment.
It may or may not help you but either way trying won't hurt you.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet