POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : my pool table with shinier billiard balls : Re: my pool table with shinier billiard balls Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:31:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: my pool table with shinier billiard balls
From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Aug 2008 14:08:33
Message: <4i11aNA0YxpIFwGl@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Eero Ahonen who wrote:
>Mike Williams wrote:
>>  The combination of pin sharp reflections and high focal blur might
>>not  be realistic. If there's enough focal blur to fuzz out a ball
>>that's a  foot away from the centre of focus, then I'd expect it to
>>affect the  reflection of the window that's several yards away.
>>

>Nnnope. The point of focus is still on the surface of the ball,
>containing practically an image of the reflected area, so DoF won't
>affect on the reflection - for a camera the reflection is like a photo
>on a stand.

That's cool. So if I want to take a photo and eliminate focal blur
completely, I can just take the photo of a mirror? The reflection will
be on the surface of the mirror, so if I focus on the mirror itself
things reflected from any distance will all be in perfect focus.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure