POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old music : Re: Old music Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old music
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jul 2012 05:07:43
Message: <4fffe55f$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/07/2012 09:46 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Take a trip:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAUINv61Jvc

I have personally seen these guys live. They don't look like this any
more. (It was a long time ago!) They still sound pretty good though.
There aren't many local bands who would have the nerve to put down their
instruments and stand on stage singing big harmonies a cappella.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb3AVT5kBIo

Same guys, singing Long Tall Girl. When I was at the Twinwood Glen
Miller Festival a few years back, I heard not one but two different
bands play this song - and I liked it both times.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTy5iDYh9b8

1. I can't do that with my legs.

2. How the hell do you play bass so fast? It's a fretless instrument,
and thus requires sub-millimetre finger precision.

3. People doing bizarre things with a double bass is a surprisingly
common spectacle. They "ride" them, they climb on top of them, they play
them upside down, and so forth. Not to mention twirling them during
breaks...

4. PHIL Haley and his COMMENTS? Please...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKHoEZgAb_k

I really like Matchbox. How many confederate flags can you see in this
video? These guys sure know how to dress up - I'm not sure as WHAT though...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEC-2_qCqeo

Possibly my favourite Matchbox song. But my, don't they look old all of
a sudden? I also love how the entire audience are TOTALLY NOT INTO IT.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8C4vNjDaSo

1. How have I never heard of these guys before this year? They're bloody
FANTASTIC!

2. This is the first time I've seen what they look like. And they do
look pretty terrifying, actually. The lead singer looks like a demented
school headmaster. And the other guy appears to be having some kind of
psychotic episode! o_O

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3q3eKVBuoo

Quoting one of the comments, "I loved these when I was 8. They scare
the shit out of me now!"

I really love big vocal harmonies. And these guys play everything with
such ENERGY...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4C9B4zV9Y

Apparently there once was a band called Rocky Sharpe & The Razors. Then
they split up. Most of the band later became The Darts. The rest of them
became Rocky Sharpe & The Replays.

I actually asked for this album as a filler, because I liked this one
track. It turns out this isn't the best track by far (actually one of
the less interesting ones), and the disk contains some real gems.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LGFA3L61Lg

We sometimes dance to this in class, when Debbie wants something really
fast. (It's way faster than you think it is!) I hated this track until I
got to hear it properly - i.e., when I got the CD. Now I really like it.
Especially the ending, which I'd never heard before...

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i15ALD6fsUU

Never heard this before until I started dancing. We often dance to this.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywsESPu7eGs

This is also great to dance to. (Starting to see where I get all my
music tips from?)

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4G_Aa47vfk

If this song doesn't get your party started, your guests are already
dead. :-P

There's a dance we do to this song. It's very simple, but very
energetic. And this track is actually, like, nearly 4 minutes long. It's
become something of a ritual to see how many people can actually dance
all the way to the end. It's not easy!

Mud also did several other wonderful songs, which I only discovered when
I bought the album.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpWJx3I2DY

I heard this on the radio and just had to find out what the hell it was...

Just look at that photo. WTF do these humans look like?! O_O

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHCBv7qdYE

I got the CD for Ballroom Blitz. (And Blockbuster.) But IMHO, *this* is
the best track on the entire disk, by a mile.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k679WKSwRE

Gotta love Dion. Shame all the recordings sound so old and grainy,
because the dude can SING!

This song is one of our standard warmup tracks.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPi_iER9Qc

I've heard several versions of this song. The canonical version is Marty
Wilde:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9AgioGirsM

There's also a really delicious version by Rocky Sharpe & The Replays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMS8w-br_oI

On the final chorus, Mr Sharpe shuts up and the audience sing the chorus
line. Each individual person probably sings slightly out of tune, but in
average the probability distribution converges to perfect harmony. On
top of that, half of them sing the line one way, and half sing the other
way, generating a beautiful set of harmonies.

Even having said all that, nobody I've heard sings this song with quite
such a mournful tone as Dion. It is, after all, a lament; why MUST I be
a teenager in love?

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtINzvbYwY0

BEST. STROLLER. EVER.

End of discussion.

(In other news... One time I tried making two copies of this song,
increasing the tempo 20%, and raising the pitch of one copy by an
octave, and then playing to two together in unholy unison. I am I sick,
sick individual.)

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_HpPut4gA

This song is great to listen to, and ****ing impossible to sing! >_<

(It probably doesn't help that my voice doesn't go that high. But even
so, some of those harmonies are really awkward to follow.)