POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Specular highlight: so what am I doing wrong? : Re: Specular highlight: so what am I doing wrong? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specular highlight: so what am I doing wrong?
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jul 2012 07:57:35
Message: <4ff8242f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.07.2012 04:10, schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> According to Clipka's Highlight Voodo, the highlights should be identical.  What
> am I missing?

Nothing; but now that you mentioned it, after the post I did some more
testing, to find that the results appeared to be wrong; more internet
research turned up a different formula; current implementation in
POV-Ray is as follows:

     RINV = 1/ROUGHNESS
     FACTOR = (RINV+2) / ( 4*( 2 - 2^(-RINV/2) ) )

(Quick sanity check: Which result looks more realistic to you - the
formula from my Highlight Voodoo post, or the albedo implementation?)