POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading : Re: Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jul 2012 06:05:10
Message: <4ff6b856$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.07.2012 09:59, schrieb Invisible:

> Incidentally, does anybody /else/ find POV-Ray's PPS display annoying?
> It seems to display the arithmetic mean over the entire image, which is
> just /wrong/.

No, it isn't.

The figure is the ratio between the count of some discrete events and
the time interval over which they are counted, specified in a fixed unit
of pixels per second (or, for lower values, pixels per minute).

Obviously, as we're talking about discrete events, you can't measure
this ratio for a particular /moment/, so you need to measure it over
/some/ timespan. It is up to the experimenter to choose one, and "the
duration of the whole experiment" is a perfectly valid one,
scientifically speaking.

You might consider the information /useless/, but that's something
totally different than being /wrong/.

> 1. It means that if the speed increases or decreases for any reason, the
> display takes a /long/ time to respond. I'd prefer to see an
> instantaneous speed readout.

OTOH it probably gives you a better overview of the render performance
for the scene as a whole.

> 2. It includes any mosaic preview or radiosity pretrace rendering, which
> has completely different speed characteristics.

Yes, but they're part of the effective rendering time.

Bottom line: You do have some point, but it's not nearly as strong as
you claim it to be.