POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading : Re: Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jul 2012 03:59:55
Message: <4ff69afb$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/07/2012 08:25 PM, Warp wrote:

> What the number is telling is how many virtual cores are being used at
> the moment by that process (assuming that it's using all of the virtual
> cores fully).

Ah, I see. The number measures the amount of processor time /allocated/
by the OS, not the amount of actual computation process made. Got it.

So if a task spends most of its time idle due to cache misses or sharing
executing units with a second hyperthreaded task, or whatever, the OS
can't easily measure that.

I guess the thing to do then is to look at the actual throughput
achieved by all the tasks. Both POV-Ray and Virtual Dub report this
information. (POV-Ray reports pixels/second, Virtual Dub reports
frames/second transcoded.)

Incidentally, does anybody /else/ find POV-Ray's PPS display annoying?
It seems to display the arithmetic mean over the entire image, which is
just /wrong/.

1. It means that if the speed increases or decreases for any reason, the
display takes a /long/ time to respond. I'd prefer to see an
instantaneous speed readout.

2. It includes any mosaic preview or radiosity pretrace rendering, which
has completely different speed characteristics.