POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Difference issue : Re: Difference issue Server Time
17 May 2024 06:02:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference issue
From: Alain
Date: 3 Jul 2012 19:12:44
Message: <4ff37c6c$1@news.povray.org>

>> There is a construction problem as well as coincident surfaces that
>> cause some additional problems.
>>
>> Changing the difference to an union.
>> Giving distinct colour to each component...
>> Pull back the camera to -9*z
>> Adding a colour value to the light_source
>> and we get:
>>
>> A smaller green box, a large red and a large blue box.
>> Most of the green box is inside the others.
>> The red and blue overlap.
>> The red and blue boxes have coincident surfaces. This can throw
>> insideness tests off.
>>
>> The problem is NOT version dependent, version 3.6 or 3.5 should render
>> similarly.
>>

>> Alain
>
> This bug is not present in version 3.6, I just rendered it in 3.6.2.
>
> The boxes inside the union have coincident surfaces and that is causing the
> problem. If I make an small change, lets say 3.0001 instead of 3, the problem
> disappears. I hope you can fix this bug because is very annoying, and with
> version 3.6 there was no problem.

Just tested with 3.6.2 and 3.7RC6
Same resolution, exactly same code, and the result is THE SAME! Just as
I said it should in my first post.
OK, the coincident noise pattern is different, but it's normal and must
be expected. Then there is the case of gamma handling, but adding
global_settings{assumed_gamma 2.2}
or
global_settings{assumed_gamma 1}
to both versions gives identical results except for the random noise
pattern.

You are abusing a limitation to do some manipulations that could me
acheived in a way more reliable maner.

In your case, replace your 2 cutting objects by a single one and use a
gradient pattern to have a transparent strip or use clipped_by to cut a
hole.

Alain