POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell vs Java: Building a ray tracer : Re: Haskell vs Java: Building a ray tracer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell vs Java: Building a ray tracer
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 3 Jul 2012 15:53:53
Message: <4ff34dd1$1@news.povray.org>
> Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer to expect the unexpected and program
> for it right away, instead of simply assuming it won't ever happen. At
> the very least, you should test for it and bail out gracefully rather
> than invoke undefined behaviour.

Sure. Who says I didn't write a test for that?

>> If the camera /is/ inside a solid object, you need to adjust several
>> things beyond just the ray intersection tests.
>
> Agreed. But that does not negate our original point that in order to
> find the nearest intersection, you need to find them all.

No, you just need to detect when the camera is inside a solid object and
emit an error message rather than rendering the scene.

(If you /want/ the camera there, you sound turn the object in question
inside-out, which takes care of /all/ of the necessary adjustments so
the scene will render correctly. In that case, no error message.)