POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Difference issue : Re: Difference issue Server Time
17 May 2024 06:02:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference issue
From: James Holsenback
Date: 3 Jul 2012 15:50:21
Message: <4ff34cfd$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/03/2012 02:38 PM, jotito wrote:

>> OK ... so what's new (I'm confused) are you trying to do this:
>>
>> difference
>> {
>>      box{<-2,1,-2>, < 2,4, 2> }
>>      box{< 0,0,-3>, < 3,2, 3> }
>>      box{< 0,3,-3>, < 3,5, 3> }
>>      texture {Gold_Texture}
>> }
>>
>> or this:
>>
>> difference
>> {
>>      box{<-2,1,-2>, < 2,4, 2> }
>>      box{< 0,0,-3>, < 3,3, 3> }
>>      box{< 0,2,-3>, < 3,5, 3> }
>>      texture {Gold_Texture}
>> }
>>
>> because if it's the 2nd one why not just do this:
>>
>> box{<-2,1,-2>, < 0,4, 2> }
>>
>> .. I mean yer just choppin' off the pos x portion of the main box!
>>
>> Jim
>
> What I am doing is creating a Military Tank using CSG. I detected that a part of
> the tank was hollow, or "semi-hollow". The same thing that happens when you
> extract an object from itself:
> difference
> {
>     box{A,B}
>     box{A,B}
> }

1 - 1 = 0 ... for a hollow box with thickness to the walls, the inside
box HAS to be smaller than the outside box and unioned with an even
smaller box that extends below the outside boxes outer dimension (-y
relative to the outer box. If you want a hollow shelled box then just
use a single box with the hollow object modifier.