POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quote of the day : Quote of the day Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Quote of the day
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jul 2012 09:43:07
Message: <4ff1a56b@news.povray.org>
I found the following quote on LinkedIn (of all places):

"Which financial firms (buyside or/and sellside) are currently actively
using functional programming (FP) languages like F#, OCaml, Lisp, Scheme
or Haskell?"

"I keep hearing buzz around this space. I think most of Investment Banks
have have at last research initiatives ongoing.

OCaml (and F#) look to be much more promising in the realm of writing
production systems de novo. Haskell isn't deterministic in its return
time (it's Lazy so it may come back in 5 secs or may take 5 hours - and
you cant really predict up front which - this is fatal for use in eg
pricing libraries)"

You heard it here folks - Haskell "isn't deterministic". :-D

While obviously this statement is false (you /can/ predict run-time,
it's just harder than you might imagine), the assertion that "this is
fatal" is probably bang-on.