POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a Prince fan ... : Re: Not a Prince fan ... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a Prince fan ...
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 28 Jun 2012 09:34:31
Message: <4fec5d67$1@news.povray.org>

> On 26/06/2012 09:37 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>> If you like melodic guitar solos (rather than mindless shredding) you
>> should try Satriani:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GfVbHLivXg
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0655gBAvRnA
>
> Some talented guitar playing, certainly. Personally, it's not my thing.
>
> Out of curiosity... how do you actually make a guitar sound like that? I
> mean, when *I* try to play guitar, it sounds nothing like that. Almost
> everybody can jam their fingers into the shape of a chord and scrub the
> strings like a washboard, but playing a *melody* is another matter. I
> can just about stumble through a few simple tunes, but it seems
> impossibly difficult to keep all the strings muted...

I can't play the drums, unless it's boom-tsch-boom-tsch-boom-tsch
because I can't get my arms to do two different things at the same time,
but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

And even then the pros will sometimes make little mistakes.  Just listen
to Starway to Heaven and you'll hear Jimmy Page zipping his left-hand
fingers on the strings.  So much so that I've seen .MID files of the
song with a "zip" track to reproduce it faithfully.