POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Consequence of Military Service : Re: Another Consequence of Military Service Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Consequence of Military Service
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jun 2012 04:48:59
Message: <4feac8fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/25/2012 4:05 AM, Invisible wrote:
> (OTOH, I don't agree with all the comments. E.g., the kid playing
> Manikin Skylark was at least as wooden as the internationally renowned
> actors he co-stared with. I don't see what the big deal about
> midichlorians is; considering all the fatal failings of the film, this
> is the /least/ of my worries. And so on.)

lol The way I figure it is, Midichlorians are sort of like mitochondria.
No higher life is possible without them, but in the Star Wars universe,
where spooky action at a distance is apparently very common, these small
life forms developed a kind of nebulous "hive mind", of sorts, as well.
Unlike mitochondria, the number that exist in the body vary from person
to person. The more you have, in principle, the stronger you "hear" this
hive mind, and, in turn, the more you can nudge it into doing things for
you.

Some species, interestingly enough, may have very high counts, but
instead of developing Jedi like abilities, they developed "defenses".
One book described using the Jedi Mind Trick on one of the races, like
the blue flying one on Episode I, as like reaching out and finding
nothing was there. Later books include a species that developed this
defense, as prey animals (non-sentient), on a world with a lot of
predators, some of them force sensitive, to an extent that they
literally "short circuit" force abilities nearby. You try to force leap
past a tree with one of them in it, and you end up in the swamp, instead
of on the next patch of dry land, since the "push" you are giving
yourself literally fails, the moment you come into their sphere of
influence.