POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Consequence of Military Service : Re: Another Consequence of Military Service Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Consequence of Military Service
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jun 2012 04:39:10
Message: <4feac6ae$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/25/2012 1:14 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Then we usually have things like cloaking (rather difficult in a cold,
> dark vacuum), tractor beams (how would that work?), teleporters (um...)
> and so forth.

Not really. You are not trying to cloak the stuff that isn't there, just
the stuff that is, which includes light, EM, and possibly your own
signals. Interestingly, one of the recent Star Wars books did it right,
in that cloaks, as we can do them, don't just leave the thing inside
invisible, they render everything inside unable to see out, so there was
a whole fleet, sitting and waiting, for a scout to finally slip in at
their coordinates and say, "Ok, time to move", in the mean time, they
all sat in the, literal, complete dark, looking at a black wall, with no
idea what was going on outside.

As for tractor beams. The problem is, as mentioned, distance. Gravity
can't be adjusted, yet, magnetism can, but has a short range, and
doesn't work on non-metals, so you have some issues making it work. The
biggest one is compensating for masses. Two ships of equal size would be
pulled "towards" each other, unless one of them was intentionally
thrusting away, to compensate. Surprisingly, a lot of Sci-Fi shows, and
books, get this right. Others, just ignore it. None of them, in general,
actually violate the rule, they just fail to explain that the "pulling"
ship is either way larger, so relatively unaffected by mass, already
traveling in the same direction, so only accelerating a bit in that same
direction, or, most likely, reducing its speed/thrusting the opposite
direction, to compensate.