POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another Consequence of Military Service : Re: Another Consequence of Military Service Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another Consequence of Military Service
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Jun 2012 04:14:51
Message: <4fe81dfb@news.povray.org>
On 24/06/2012 10:44 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 24/06/2012 10:35 PM, John VanSickle wrote:
>> The science howlers are too numerous to list here.
>
> That is Hollywood for you. ;-)
> And SF movies in general.

Pick, oh I don't know, ANY FILM involving space ships. Immediately we
have a raft of question:

- Why are these ships so damned loud in the high vacuum of outer space?

- Why do they come to a stop if the engine stops working?

- Why do they fall downwards in screen space if there's a major failure?

- Why are they so flammable in a vacuum?

- Why bother with aerodynamic shapes when there's no frigging /air/?

Then we usually have things like cloaking (rather difficult in a cold,
dark vacuum), tractor beams (how would that work?), teleporters (um...)
and so forth.

If you actually stop and analyse the details of all these things...
damn, you wouldn't be able to watch much. ;-)