POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The mystery of caffeine : Re: The mystery of caffeine Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The mystery of caffeine
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Jun 2012 12:35:42
Message: <4fde075e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:24:53 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> It is quite difficult to reply to this without nit picking. (Won’t stop
> me though.)

But of course. ;)

>  From my reading it is not very common, only 1 or 2 per cent of people
> get them. The ones I get have almost no duration at all and are so
> infrequent as to not be counted.

But the pain is something you're familiar with.  Just because it
approaches an average of zero over time.... ;)

> My understanding of common or garden headaches is that it feels like an
> iron band around your head that is slowly tightening. Or that it is a
> thumper where your head pounds with pain. These I don’t get.

I wouldn't know what an iron band around my head slowly tightening feels
like, but basically for me, there's a 'steady pain' and a 'thumping
pain'.  What I've read about hangover headaches is that they're caused by
dehydration causing the brain to shrink slightly, and the pain is the
membrane attached to the skull being pulled (since the brain itself
doesn't feel pain at all).

> My theory is that the headache I had as a child was so unpleasant that I
> decided not to have any more.

You should teach that trick to the rest of us. ;)

>> Well, I've had headaches that were like that, but migraines are quite
>> different, that's true.  Every once in a while I get one where I see
>> white spots.  Sometimes there is pain involved, sometimes not.
>>

> I think that we are talking at cross purposes.

I don't think so.

> One of my brothers in law suffers badly from migraines and buys them
> instead of hangovers. When the wine is in the sense is out etc.

Ken used to get them quite regularly as well - though he's found a change
in diet that has really helped a lot (not sure what it is, though).

> I meant a pain in the head region is not necessarily a headache.

Well, true.

>>> Incidentally, I don’t get hangovers, either. And it is not that I
>>> don’t drink ;-)
>>
>> That's handy. ;)
>>

> It is and it isn’t. I don’t have the disincentive of hangovers to stop
> me drinking too much.

True....

Jim