POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Jun 2012 12:32:34
Message: <4fdcb522@news.povray.org>
On 6/11/2012 6:46, Francois Labreque wrote:
> There was an article posted here a while back, by Darren I think, that
> included this sentence that is very appropriate: "Job offers move at th
> speed of beer".

I don't remember that, but it's certainly true. :-)

 > This means that simply putting your resumé on Monster or
> your blogspot page is not enough, you need to network. If you are looki
ng
> for work, you need to BUILD and MAINTAIN relationships with other peopl
e who
> will (a) let you know of opportunities and (b) may even put in a good w
ord
> about you.

As an aside, I have had exactly three jobs in my career that I got by
applying for them without already knowing the people I'd be working for.

I've had a dozen or more because some guy I knew needed someone who could
 do
what I do, and called me up and said "come work here."

> Posting in say, a Haskell forum, or general programming forum, might ge
t you
> noticed by the recruiters who scour the site looking for potential
> candidates, or by other programmers who might say "Boss, I don't have t
ime
> to work on this project, but I might know just the guy for you!"

And I'd suggest giving your writings a wider distribution too.

For example, go to reddit.com/r/programming and post them there, marked "
OC"
(Original Content). There are hundreds or thousands of people there starv
ing
to read about cool stuff like that, as an example, and lots of them work
at
places better than your place!

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)