POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Animation : simulating sunset and day/night transition : Re: Animation : simulating sunset and day/night transition Server Time
26 Jun 2024 09:58:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation : simulating sunset and day/night transition
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jun 2012 22:17:24
Message: <4fdbecb4$1@news.povray.org>

>> Am 14.06.2012 23:25, schrieb rodv92:
>>> Hello, i would like to know how to make this day/sunset/night transition.
>>>
>>> So far, the obvious i should manage to do :
>>>
>>> sun light source going below the ground plane
>>> sky sphere dimming (with rgb color factor decreasing ?)
>>> sky sphere superposition of a night sky coming in
>>>
>>> The question is that i cannot get the intrinsic luminosity of the scene to dim
>>> very much
>>
>> You probably want to adjust ambient_light; or, better yet, use radiosity
>> instead.
>>
>> Also note that for the sunset, you may also want to dim the sun light
>> source and give it a more redish tint. The sky sphere, too, should go
>> through some more or less dramatic color changes.
>>

>>> I see that black fog seems to be the way to go.
>>>
>>> Is it ? Cause i would not like to see objects in far distance to disappear
>>> completely (they should remain visible, they have dim emission + dim light
>>> sources attached to them)
>>
>> No, black fog is not what you want. It would give you a totally
>> different effect.
>
> FYI, i use this global lights params + sky sphere. the sky sphere evolution
> function should provide a dark blue shift and a dark red shift, with the blue
> overtaking all azimuths. still reflecting where to plug the clock variable on
> the sky sphere since my math skills are a bit "rusty". i will try to come up
> with a solution but any help appreciated of course !
>
> #declare night_factor = 0.6;
>
> light_source { <4000,2000,10000>, rgb <4,4,4>/(1 + clock*0.1)
>      parallel
>      adaptive 1
As you don't use an area_light, adaptive is of no use.
If you use an area_light with adaptive 1, the array should be 9x9,
17x17, 33x33,... (use thise formula: 1+ n^2)
Smaller values will make the effect of adaptive less usefull.
Other intermediate values are not effecient given the way that adaptive
work.
>      jitter
Same as above.
>              }
>
> #declare clouds = plane{<0,1,0>,14 hollow  //
>
>   texture{
>    pigment {color rgb<0.1,0.35,0.8>*0.8 transmit 0.95}
>    //finish {ambient 0  diffuse 0}
>    finish {ambient 1  diffuse 1}

The value of ambient plus diffuse should be less that 1 to have correct
results.

Alain