POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unreal engine 4 : Re: Unreal engine 4 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unreal engine 4
From: John VanSickle
Date: 12 Jun 2012 08:13:00
Message: <4fd7324c$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/8/2012 10:47 PM, Darren New wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8
>
> Amazing the level of visual computation people are achieving these days
> in real time.

There is much more processing power under the hood of that machine than
I have when I'm rendering, and there are clearly a number of tricks in
play to replace long, expensive visual computations with down-and-dirty
calculations that deliver acceptable results.  I doubt, for instance,
that the glow and shadow effects in the smoke involved more than a few
dozen particles at most.  The shadow cast by the smoke isn't something
we can see with much clarity, so it just needs to move in a way that
agrees with the motion of the smoke.  And so on.

The amount of pre-calculation going on here is probably much larger than
the fellow in the video has let on; it is the ability to do *that*
quickly that has made it possible for the editor to display the WYSIWYG
results.

Those who remember editing .WAD files for DOOM may remember the step
during saves where the BSP tree had to be calculated.  This took some
time for larger maps.  Now that desktop machines run three hundred times
faster, these intermediate calculations aren't as noticeable.

It looks like making a good story and good game play are going to be the
remaining challenges going forward.

Regards,
John