POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Jun 2012 09:46:44
Message: <4fd5f6c4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-06-09 10:27, Orchid Win7 v1 a écrit :
> On 09/06/2012 03:11 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> Le 2012-06-08 06:18, Invisible a écrit :
>>> I don't know that there are any sites that do /exactly/ what Linked-In
>>> does. But there are plenty of sites that let you search humans for
>>> various reasons. (Exhibit A: Monster.)
>>>

>> Monster is nothing like LinkedIn. Linked-In is much closer to Facebook
>> than Monster.
>
> Both LinkedIn and Monster let you search for humans for work-related
> purposes though. That was the comparison I was going for.
>
>> In Linked-in, you are supposed to build a network of contacts (school
>> buddies, coworkers, family, etc...), which then lets you get introduced
>> to THEIR contacts, etc... Hopefully helping you on your quest to find a
>> good job. E.g.: There's this guy in your dance classes that works in
>> accounting at a big company. You become a contact in LinkedIn. While
>> taking a break, he mentions the sad state of their IT. YOu say: "I
>> betcha I could help improve things." The next day, you ask him over
>> LinkedIn to introduce you to his HR rep or IT manager. you get
>> introduced, you go on an interview, you may not get hired, but the HR
>> person knows you exist, and when the time comes to hire an Haskell
>> expert, she'll have one in her network already.
>
> That's a great story. Pity I don't know anybody like that...

How do you know that no one you know works for a company that is looking
for a sysadmin, a programmer, a desk-side support technician, or a
church organ player?

There was an article posted here a while back, by Darren I think, that
included this sentence that is very appropriate: "Job offers move at the
speed of beer".  This means that simply putting your resumé on Monster
or your blogspot page is not enough, you need to network.  If you are
looking for work, you need to BUILD and MAINTAIN relationships with
other people who will (a) let you know of opportunities and (b) may even
put in a good word about you.

>> Just like Facebook or Myspace, LinkedIn lets post blog-like messages;
>> you can make recommendations on books, seminars, speeches, and other
>> people's work. You can also participate in various forums on a variety
>> of topics.
>>
>> You can (and could back in 2007, when I joined! so it must have been
>> there when you did too) also join trade groups, alumni groups, interest
>> groups, etc... All have mailing lists that will let you know of other
>> group members' postings, forum discussions, etc...
>
> 1. I had no idea that any of this functionality existed.
>
> 2. I'm not really sure how you would use such functionality to do
> anything "useful". (Not that I'm saying you can't, I'm just saying I'm
> not sure how.)

Posting in say, a Haskell forum, or general programming forum, might get
you noticed by the recruiters who scour the site looking for potential
candidates, or by other programmers who might say "Boss, I don't have
time to work on this project, but I might know just the guy for you!"