POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2012 01:55:18
Message: <4fd436c6$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:42:53 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> I also know someone who's the systems engineering team leader at City
>> College in Brighton, people who work at both Cambridge and Oxford
>> universities (including a research professor who's not on LinkedIn -
>> he's worked very hard to keep a very small online footprint).
>
> That's impressive and everything, but... why would any of these people
> give a damn about me? I'm nobody.

You have skills.  Perhaps they need your skills.  If you're a fit for a
job and can do it for a price they can afford, then they benefit from
hiring you.

> (I'm also not sure what you mean by "one step away"...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

That's a good place to start.

>> Spend some time looking at the companies represented in your broader
>> network and see what looks like it might be moderately interesting.
>>
>> Then see what positions those companies have posted on LinkedIn, and if
>> you find something that looks interesting, ask the person you know
>> there to introduce you to the person they know ho works there.
>
> It's literally news to me that LinkedIn lets you do this. I didn't
> realise it /had/ jobs listings, or company data, or anything remotely
> like that...

You've been away from three years, assuming it's never changing. <shrug>
It's changed, and that's part of what's changed about it.  If you've put
enough information in, it can even recommend jobs you may be interested
in.

That's how I found the one I almost got in Portland.

Jim