POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2012 13:34:52
Message: <4fd0e63c@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:21:17 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> Yes, there is.  There are groups that host discussions.  There are job
>> postings posted (and it even recommends "jobs you might be interested
>> in".  I used that to find one position that I applied for and
>> interviewed extensively for - even traveling out of state for an
>> in-person interview.
>
> Either this stuff is /extremely/ well hidden, or they've changed the
> site design since I last logged in 3 years ago (or whenever it was).

Of course, such a dynamic website would never ever be updated. m-/

Maybe you should have a look before making such declarations.  (Oh, wait,
I forgot who I was talking to. ;) )

>> False assumption, unsupported by any amount of evidence.
>
> Looking at evidence and reaching a conclusion isn't a "false
> assumption", even if the conclusion turns out to be incorrect. An
> /assumption/ is when you draw a conclusion without /any/ evidence. :-P

By your own admission, you haven't looked at it in 3 years.  So you've
drawn a conclusion based on outdated knowledge.  Therefore, a false
assumption and a poorly drawn conclusion are present.

>> It does help to keep your profile current.
>
> No argument here.
>
>> Building a career isn't a passive activity.  It requires some effort.
>
> Sure. But as I say, Linked-In doesn't appear to allow you to /do/
> anything. Consequently, I haven't done anything.

Invalid assumption (that it doesn't appear to allow you to do anything)
because you HAVEN'T LOOKED AT IT IN 3 YEARS.

>> If you don't update your profile with recent accomplishments and such,
>> recruiters are going to look at it and say "yeah, this hasn't changed,
>> so he's lost interest or isn't doing anything" and move on.
>
> I've been alive 30+ years, and I don't have /any/ accomplishments yet.
> :-P

Bullshit.  We've been over this before.

>> But listed in order of activity?  No, that's not really the case
>> AFAICS.
>
> OK. That's how most search sites of this type work.

On what factual basis do you make this claim?

> But I haven't
> actually checked. (Searching for other people isn't something I need to
> do, so I haven't tried. I'm not even sure if it's an option for people
> who aren't registered recruiters...)

Yes, there is.  How do you expect to find and connect to people you know?

Jim