POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Jun 2012 13:21:22
Message: <4fd0e312$1@news.povray.org>
>> Linked-In seems to have the same problem that all the early social
>> networking sites had: Once you've filled out all the fields in your
>> profile, there's nothing left to /do/.
>
> Yes, there is.  There are groups that host discussions.  There are job
> postings posted (and it even recommends "jobs you might be interested
> in".  I used that to find one position that I applied for and interviewed
> extensively for - even traveling out of state for an in-person interview.

Either this stuff is /extremely/ well hidden, or they've changed the
site design since I last logged in 3 years ago (or whenever it was).

>> When I first created my profile, I used to get the occasional call from
>> recruiters who claimed to have seen it. And after a month or so, it
>> stopped. Presumably because profiles are listed in order of activity.
>> (Which is an entirely reasonable way to list them, really...)
>
> False assumption, unsupported by any amount of evidence.

Looking at evidence and reaching a conclusion isn't a "false
assumption", even if the conclusion turns out to be incorrect. An
/assumption/ is when you draw a conclusion without /any/ evidence. :-P

> It does help to keep your profile current.

No argument here.

> Building a career isn't a passive activity.  It requires some effort.

Sure. But as I say, Linked-In doesn't appear to allow you to /do/
anything. Consequently, I haven't done anything.

Basically, I used Linked-In for a while, and eventually came to the
conclusion that it doesn't help me get where I want to go. So I stopped
using it. (Although admittedly I didn't actually shut down my account -
I should probably go do that, just in case...)

 From what I can tell, Linked-In seems to be aimed at high-powered
business executives, rather than at normal people like me. Which is
fine, presumably it's useful to those people. But it doesn't seem to be
useful to me.

> If you don't update your profile with recent accomplishments and such,
> recruiters are going to look at it and say "yeah, this hasn't changed, so
> he's lost interest or isn't doing anything" and move on.

I've been alive 30+ years, and I don't have /any/ accomplishments yet. :-P

(It's bad enough that every time I view my profile, Linked-In insists
that I should put in my previous job, because I'm 77x more likely to be
contacted. Er, yeah, I don't *have* a previous job. :-P )

> But listed in order of activity?  No, that's not really the case AFAICS.

OK. That's how most search sites of this type work. But I haven't
actually checked. (Searching for other people isn't something I need to
do, so I haven't tried. I'm not even sure if it's an option for people
who aren't registered recruiters...)