POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. : Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you use Linkedin, you should probably change your password.
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2012 11:41:11
Message: <4fd0cb97$1@news.povray.org>
>> Thing is, people were saying 10 years ago that it was a great resource
>> for getting hired, and today, 10 years later, that still doesn't seem to
>> be the case.
>
> It's not a passive thing - you don't put your CV info up there and then
> just sit back and wait.
>
> So, what active things have you done?

Linked-In seems to have the same problem that all the early social
networking sites had: Once you've filled out all the fields in your
profile, there's nothing left to /do/.

The site is just a giant database of /stuff/. You can type in your
stuff. You can query what stuff other people have typed in. And that's
it. The site doesn't /do/ anything else. So once you've keyed in your
data, there's basically no reason to ever visit it again. (Other than to
bump your entry back to the top of the search page.)

>> More like "if you don't access it at least twice per day, you disappear
>> off the bottom of the search results".
>
> Not at all.  I access LinkedIn quite regularly, and am a member of a
> number of groups related to the fields I'm interested in - and I
> occasionally participate in discussions in those groups.

When I first created my profile, I used to get the occasional call from
recruiters who claimed to have seen it. And after a month or so, it
stopped. Presumably because profiles are listed in order of activity.
(Which is an entirely reasonable way to list them, really...)