POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in the mainstream : Re: Coding in the mainstream Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in the mainstream
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2012 11:35:25
Message: <4fd0ca3d$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm told back in the days of the old mainframes, /all/ user output was
>> through a printer. It literally didn't /have/ a video display /at all/.
>> So the PRINT command in BASIC? It used to actually *print* stuff! :-D
>
> Yup. Heard that, too. Haven't ever seen any proof with my own eyes
> though, so it must be urban legend :-P

I've personally operated a green-screen terminal where there's a
2-second delay between pressing a key and seeing the character on the
screen because it's a dumb terminal connected over a modem link to a
mainframe somewhere. After keying in several /very/ cryptic commands,
the line printer next to be sprang into life. And let me tell you, those
things are LOUD! I was using it to print benefits cheques for the local
county council, in around about 1997 or so. I doubt that their
infrastructure has been modernised since then...