POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need to put a picture here : Re: Need to put a picture here Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need to put a picture here
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jun 2012 07:28:34
Message: <4fd09062@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2012 12:17 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 07.06.2012 09:54, schrieb Invisible:
>
>> A more significant problem shows up with my quad-core system. As you
>> know, it has 4 execution cores. But it also has hyperthreading, which
>> makes Windows pretend that it has 8 cores. But it doesn't. Which means
>> that even when all 4 cores are working at maximum capacity, Task Manager
>> claims I'm only using 50% CPU. This is terribly misleading...
>
> Claiming that it uses 100% CPU would be misleading as well. After all,
> hyperthreading /does/ add some speed benefit; it pretty much depends on
> your application how much that benefit is

And that, right there, is the problem. It would be prohibitively
expensive to actually /measure/ how much of the available compute
resources you're really using. So you have to guess.

Personally, I think I'd go for reporting all 4 cores running a single
thread as "100%", and then if hyperthreading kicks in, you go above
100%. My CPU goes up to 11! :-D