POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Need to put a picture here : Re: Need to put a picture here Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need to put a picture here
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jun 2012 07:17:51
Message: <4fd08ddf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2012 09:54, schrieb Invisible:

> A more significant problem shows up with my quad-core system. As you
> know, it has 4 execution cores. But it also has hyperthreading, which
> makes Windows pretend that it has 8 cores. But it doesn't. Which means
> that even when all 4 cores are working at maximum capacity, Task Manager
> claims I'm only using 50% CPU. This is terribly misleading...

Claiming that it uses 100% CPU would be misleading as well. After all,
hyperthreading /does/ add some speed benefit; it pretty much depends on
your application how much that benefit is: The more cache misses the
software generates, the higher the HT benefit.

Even technically, HT indeed extends each core by another "half a core".