POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in the mainstream : Re: Coding in the mainstream Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in the mainstream
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jun 2012 06:53:19
Message: <4fd0881f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2012 12:06, schrieb Invisible:

> Whether I will fix these issues or move on to another project remains to
> be seen. Originally my goal was to write the program in Java (which is
> object-oriented), and then have a go at translating it to C++. (Without
> the GUI, because I have no idea how to do GUI programming in C++, and it
> sounds highly non-trivial.) But actually, it looks like it's going to be
> impossible, because it fundamentally /requires/ abstract classes, which
> are hard in C++. So probably another Java project then...

Abstract classes hard in C++? That's news to me. Last time I checked
they were quite trivial:

   class C
   {
     public:
       virtual ~C() {}
       virtual void DoSomething() = 0;
   };

There. An abstract class.

   class D: public C
   {
     public:
       virtual ~D() {}
       virtual void DoSomething() { ... }
   };

There. A class implementing the abstract one.

   C* Foo;
   Foo = new D();
   Foo.DoSomething();
   delete Foo;

There. An implementation of an abstract class in action.

Did I miss anything?

If you're using MS Visual Studio (or any other sane contemporary C++
IDE), GUI programming is quite easy as well; after all, you have a GUI
builder included. (Writing a /portable/ GUI in C++ is an entirely
different matter of course, and the beginners' how-to boils down to one
and a half words: "Don't.")