POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly. : Re: 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly.
From: Stephen
Date: 30 May 2012 09:08:29
Message: <4fc61bcd$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/05/2012 8:57 AM, scott wrote:

> There is no reason for a tablet (or any PC/phone) to have a clock
> generator with super accuracy, it's simply wasted expense when an
> accuracy of <1% will do for the majority of tasks.  That's why
> professional sound cards have an option to use the clock from an
> incoming signal (rather than the internal one) to keep everything in sync.

It was a NTB (Not Too Bright) idea, a eureka moment where I slipped on
the soap when I jumped out of the bath etc.

the software I have will only find the beats to a resolution of 1

is very noisy and automatically finding the beats is not very accurate.

> Try playing the same song (or your tick recording) on several different
> devices at the same time, you'll find they likely drift apart noticeably
> after only a minute or two.

I am sure that they would.

> You could try recording the speaking clock as a reference, that is
> probably more accurate than your tablet.

I was using the tablet as a recording device. It is the accuracy of that
which is in doubt. Well it is not actually in doubt, it is not up to the
requirements needed.
My quartz watch was for calibrating/adjusting the figures I got after
analysing the wave form. But the time between ticks is not constant. The
recording program and the sound card probably have too low a priority
for accurate recording. Which is also an answer to Andrew saying that
cheap quartz oscillators are quite accurate. That and the compensation
for voltage and temperature won't be high spec.

* An accuracy of about +/- 7 minutes a day.

--
Regards
     Stephen