POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly. : Re: 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1 GHz CPU and it still cannot time things properly.
From: scott
Date: 30 May 2012 03:57:16
Message: <4fc5d2dc$1@news.povray.org>
> Now that I know that the adjustment lever has the range, I will be
> scientific. So I recorded the tick on my tablet (1 GHz CPU) and analysed
> it. I also recorded a quartz watch as a reference. Damned if the wave
> form was > 0.6% out.

There is no reason for a tablet (or any PC/phone) to have a clock
generator with super accuracy, it's simply wasted expense when an
accuracy of <1% will do for the majority of tasks.  That's why
professional sound cards have an option to use the clock from an
incoming signal (rather than the internal one) to keep everything in sync.

Try playing the same song (or your tick recording) on several different
devices at the same time, you'll find they likely drift apart noticeably
after only a minute or two.

You could try recording the speaking clock as a reference, that is
probably more accurate than your tablet.