POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Privacy Myth : Re: Privacy Myth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Privacy Myth
From: Invisible
Date: 24 May 2012 04:12:54
Message: <4fbded86@news.povray.org>
> Lawmakers define law.  The courts interpret it - and sometimes interpret
> it to mean something other than what the lawmakers wrote it to mean.

Interestingly, I have some experience in this direction.

Under lab regulations, you have to have written procedures for certain
things. Once you write such a procedure, it becomes a "law" as such. If
you don't follow that procedure, hypothetically you could go to jail.
[Although that's rather unlikely in practise.]

Before the procedure goes into effect, it has to go through a long
convoluted bureaucratic collaboration and approval process. But once the
procedure is "issued", it becomes law. Whatever the procedure says,
that's what you have to do.

Usually this isn't a problem. The problems start when some unusual
circumstance that the procedure writer hadn't considered occurs. Then
you get people standing around scratching their heads and interpreting
the hell out of the actual written text of the procedure.

You would think that in the event of an unusual circumstance, the
scientists running the experiment would be expected to use their best
judgement to determine the most scientifically sound course of action.
You would be wrong. Instead, the scientists are required to blindly
follow the procedure document, no matter how stupid that is. The
impetus, then, is on the procedure writers to write procedures which
take into account every possible unusual circumstance that could ever
occur in the history of civilisation.

OTOH, nobody tries to subvert procedures "on purpose". I gather people
actually do that with laws. ;-)