POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NCIS : Re: NCIS Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NCIS
From: Invisible
Date: 23 May 2012 04:02:50
Message: <4fbc99aa@news.povray.org>
>> - There's the wildcard. The smug, annoying, arrogant self-important
>> jerk. Always wisecracking, always quoting obscure movie references. He
>> thinks he is The Big, Mr Big, The Cool Guy. And the ladies are always
>> all over him - as he constantly reminds everybody, every three seconds.
>> In short, he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. And yet, everybody
>> really likes him, for no defined reason.
>
> I don't.

Me neither. He's the most unlikeable guy in the show.

>> - There's the obligatory computer nerd. He can crack any cipher, and
>> hack any computer system. (Unless it doesn't suit the script writer for
>> today's episode.) Naturally, the guy is a high-calibre wimp. Oh, he will
>> tackle people to the ground. But somehow he manages to make even that
>> look wimpy. And he's really easy to intimidate. (Although, there was
>> that one episode... nevermind.)
>
> And when he is temporarily reassigned to the cyberwarfare department,
> the other geeks call him boss.

Yeah, but that's probably just out of reverence for a guy who's a bigger
nerd than they are.

>> Also, something bothers me: I'm PRETTY SURE that if a suspect refuses to
>> give you a DNA sample, then you CANNOT simply offer them a drink, and
>> then lift their fingerprints and DNA from the glass afterwards. It
>> strikes me that there must be some kind of LAW against that kind of
>> thing. (Otherwise why would you even need consent in the first place?)
>
> Well, sometimes you want a sample without him knowing that you got one.
> Generally speaking, if the police don't need your consent, then
> cooperation is mandatory. (Telling an Icelandic policeman that you won't
> be giving the blood sample he has requested results in you getting held
> down by as many policemen as it takes. Or at least that's what they told
> US military servicemen who were assigned to Iceland in 1992.)

Yeah, but not in the USA or the UK, AFAIK. Both of these countries
require consent before collecting fingerprint or DNA evidence (although
refusing might itself be considered suspicious).

> The silly one I saw was when a computer in the lab was being hacked. You
> could tell because windows kept opening up rapidly, JUST LIKE IN REAL
> LIFE!!!111!!1!1!!! The Geek and the Lab Goth were both typing on the
> same keyboard trying to stop this. (In a rare fit of accuracy, this did
> not work.) The attack stopped when the Boss pulled the power cord on the
> machine. (I would have pulled the network cable.)

I very much doubt that Gibbs knows the difference between a power cable
and a network cable. And either way, it doesn't stop hostile code
running on your system, it just stops the program's diabolical master
from talking to it.

But yeah, it's pretty stupid all round. I blame this on the fact that
99% of the population have NO IDEA how computers actually work...