POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spoken languages in the past : Re: Spoken languages in the past Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spoken languages in the past
From: scott
Date: 23 May 2012 03:35:13
Message: <4fbc9331@news.povray.org>
> High German, Low German, and Dutch are actually rather specific points
> along a very smooth spectrum. I am told that if you were to walk from
> southern Austria up through Germany all the way up to the Netherlands,

You can even start in northern Italy rather than southern Austria.  Also
I heard several times that when English people try to speak German it
often sounds very Dutch, so I guess even though we (in England) have
mutated the language a fair bit the accent is still there somehow to
carry on the smooth progression across Europe.