POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry : Re: Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific inquiry
From: Invisible
Date: 22 May 2012 07:54:30
Message: <4fbb7e76$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/05/2012 12:19 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 22/05/2012 10:37 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> So, what do we think, folks? Is pressing the tip of a long metal probe
>> against a metal heat-sink a reliable way to get a temperature reading?
>
> I would use a thermocouple attached to the heatsink with thermal paste.

Yeah, I don't have any thermal paste.

> Once you have done that box the laptop up as the efficiency of its
> cooling system will depend on the air flow.

Well, that's why I tried it in our server room. The AC holds the room at
a constant temperature. That's also why I used the meeting room; it's
large enough that the presence of one warm human and one hot laptop is
unlikely to affect the overall temperature of such a huge volume of air
with free circulation.

> BTW what is your calibrated laboratory thermometer which is a long metal
> probe?

It's made be Hanna Instruments (no, I don't know the exact model number)
and I'm using a type-K thermocouple. It was last externally calibrated
by a certified engineer about 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, as I say, the probe for the thermocouple is very long and
thin. It would probably work great for measuring the temperature of the
air in a room, or of a flask of liquid. (That's probably what the lab
guys want it for.) I'm not sure how appropriate it is for measuring the
surface temperature of a solid object.

For reference, I pressed the tip to my leg, and got a reading of about