POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry : Re: Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific inquiry
From: Invisible
Date: 22 May 2012 05:37:56
Message: <4fbb5e74@news.povray.org>
>   Time | CPU | Ambient | SODIMM
> -------+------+---------+--------

OK, so I just signed out our officially certified calibrated laboratory
thermometer and took some measurements.

wedged the end of the probe into the exhaust vent of the laptop and

The ambient temperature in our meeting room (which has a nice, large

against the CPU heat-sink. I'm not 100% sure about how reliable this is.
Before I started the test, the laptop was still warm from the previous

slowly decreasing as I watched it.

I then fired the laptop up, still balanced on its side, with the exhaust

I did find that if I wedge the probe into a certain spot, I could get

So, what do we think, folks? Is pressing the tip of a long metal probe
against a metal heat-sink a reliable way to get a temperature reading?

when the heat-sink is so warm? Will Dell give a damn?

Actually, scrub that last one - I already know the answer...