POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Prelude to a puzzle : Re: Prelude to a puzzle Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Prelude to a puzzle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 May 2012 16:00:04
Message: <4fb6aa44$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 May 2012 09:05:31 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>> Sounds like it's worn to me.  Peg Dope (which IIRC is the actual
>> product name) is supposed to help with that.
>
> Possibly doesn't help that I've never tuned a violin in my life.
>
> Obviously, having your instrument correctly tuned is crucially
> important. So at school, the teacher always did that for us.

Seems like a poor excuse for a teacher, then.  The point of playing in
school isn't to sound good, but to learn how to play (which includes
tuning the instrument).

>> Replacing the strings is easy.  I wouldn't pay someone to do it, just
>> buy a set of Dominant or similar and replace them one by one.
>
> Yeah, I already read that you shouldn't remove all the strings at once.
> I wonder how many other gotchas there are? Apparently it's also fairly
> important to have the strings properly routed through the pegbox... In
> all, I figure I should probably leave this one to the professionals. It
> probably won't even cost that much.

Probably not, if you've never done this before.  But I'm surprised that
you haven't, as I recall you say you played for years.  But given your
above comment that you've never tuned a violin before, it seems that your
self-described "suckiness" at playing is attributable in a HUGE part to
having a crap teacher who didn't actually teach you anything about
playing the violin beyond "put your fingers here" and "move the bow like
this".

Jim