POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows growing over time is now an official feature : Re: Windows growing over time is now an official feature Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows growing over time is now an official feature
From: Invisible
Date: 18 May 2012 04:09:19
Message: <4fb603af$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/05/2012 05:30 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 5/17/2012 1:15, Invisible wrote:
>> 1. So there's a secret undocumented tool for doing this? Yeah, that's
>> really
>> going to help your average Joe who's just trying to keep their computer
>> running.
>
> No. It's in Disk CLeanup too, it turns out.

That's interesting, because from what I can remember, Disk Cleanup
offers to empty you Internet cache, and also spends eighty BILLION years
scanning your entire harddrive to see if there are any files which
haven't been accessed in the last 24 hours and could therefore be
compressed. But it does /not/ offer to empty your temp folder, delete
old OS updates, empty the recycle bin, trim the DLL cache, empty the
precache folder, or indeed do /anything/ which might actually, you know,
REDUCE DISK USAGE...

>> 2. It appears to only apply to /service packs/, not the fifty billion
>> updates per day that Windows Update will be downloading without your
>> knowledge unless you specifically turned it off.
>
> Yep. Which then get rolled up into a service pack, and which can thus be
> deleted.

Does that actually work? I mean, there have been /millions/ of updates
for Windows XP, and last I heard, they're not even /making/ service
packs for it any more. Even for the latest OS, they release a service
pack, what, once every 3 years or so? So you're telling me this folder
grows without limit, but once every 3 years you get to trim it? Yeah,
that's fantastic.

> If it's installing them without you knowing it, isn't it a good
> thing that you can uninstall them if they break something?

That's probably not a bad idea. It would just be nice if there was a
simple, easy to use interface for removing the old files once you're
sure you don't need them any more.