POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows growing over time is now an official feature : Windows growing over time is now an official feature Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Windows growing over time is now an official feature
From: Warp
Date: 15 May 2012 16:28:05
Message: <4fb2bc55@news.povray.org>
Windows has basically always been infamous for taking more and more
disk space over time, no matter how much you try to clean it. It just
grows. No other OS I know of does this (for example I have been using
Linux for quite many years, and it still takes as much disk space as
it took when I first installed it, discounting the system components
that I have installed on purpose).

  Apparently that behavior is now an official feature that cannot be
turned off.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/09/17/what-is-the-winsxs-directory-in-windows-2008-and-windows-vista-and-why-is-it-so-large.aspx

  Some people are running out of disk space, making everything break,
and they have no idea how to fix it.

--
                                                          - Warp