POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finland : Re: Finland Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finland
From: Warp
Date: 14 May 2012 12:48:13
Message: <4fb1374c@news.povray.org>
> I don't think Warp gets to complain about politics in his home country any more.

> http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm

> (It *is* Finland, right?)

  All the years I have lived in Finland, I don't remember reading/hearing
about even one case of police brutality, excessive use of force, bribery
or other type of corruption. In fact, I have seen many videos (filmed by
bystanders) of police handling eg. an aggressive individual where they
handle it very carefully, in that they do not resort to extreme measures
such as stun guns or, heaven forbid, real firearms. (I even remember one
video where one of the police officers got hit in the face with a stick
and got a bloody nose. They *still* wouldn't resort to stun guns or the
like. They were able to apprehend the guy by fully unarmed means.)

  Corrupt politicians are probably not completely unheard of, but really
rare. I don't remember ever seeing some front page news about some
politician having been caught doing something illegal or dubious.

  I don't think there's even such a concept as censorship of the press.
(OTOH, the Finnish press, much like that of almost all of western Europe,
is quite left-wing, and engages in heavy self-censorship with certain
subject matters, as well as distorting and inventing stories about some
individuals, especially some politicians. OTOH, there's nothing even close
to eg. Fox News here. And nevertheless, that cannot be technically speaking
deemed as "corruption". At most the Finnish press on the large pressures
*itself* to be left-winged, rather than somebody else, eg. the government,
doing it.)

  So no, I wouldn't say there's any significant corruption in Finland.

  OTOH that doesn't mean I agree with all of the government's policies...

--
                                                          - Warp