POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map? : Re: Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map?
From: Stephen
Date: 13 May 2012 13:42:12
Message: <4faff274@news.povray.org>

> I've seen this method elsewhere
> (http://www.kuffner.org/james/gallery/raytracing/earth_from_space/), but
> what if I want to use spherical meshes for the Earth surface later on?

I don't think that would be a problem.

> Also using the mesh two times with a very small radial offset?

I had not thought of that. I think that your maths will get a bit more
complicated. As you rotate your terminator you will need to counter
rotate your night side sphere. For me, using a modeller, it is much
simpler having two concurrent spheres with one of them differenced with
a box.
But why a mesh? Surely the height difference between sea level and the
top of mountains is very small. Mount Everest is about 0.07% higher than
the average diameter of the Earth. Would that be visible at the height
of your camera? I think that the density of the mesh would need to be
very high to get acceptable detail.

--
Regards
     Stephen