POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map? : Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Adding an alpha gradient to an image_map?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 13 May 2012 09:41:43
Message: <4fafba17$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

With a new computer finally at hand, I wanted to upgrade my POVSolar
(and, thus, also POVEarth) project, replacing the simple 2048 x 1024
surface and clouds texture by a more sophisticated one. After adding
separate textures for surface (i. e. land, sea and sea ice) and clouds
(on a slightly larger sphere to make them float at 5 kms above the
surface), I also want to add a "city lights" texture showing only up on
the night side of Earth.

To achieve this, I added the "city lights" image_map as a new texture
layer beneath the daylight surface image_map - but to make it appear on
the night side only, I'll also somehow have to add a gradient pattern
for the alpha channel of the daylight surface texture. Unfortunately,
the official manual is silent about this - it only contains notes on
assigning alpha values to index colours or using the alpha channel
provided with the image file...

So, how can I add an alpha gradient to my daylight image_map?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar