POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : House building : Re: House building Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: House building
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 May 2012 03:23:02
Message: <4faf6156$1@news.povray.org>
On 13-5-2012 0:53, Becraft, Robert wrote:
> I'm liking these very much Thomas.  I can't wait to see these in place in the
> city.

Thank you Robert :-)

I am working now on the street plan that has to follow the topography. I
am writing a couple of macros that should help me with that.

> I actually have in my archives code I wrote to deploy random buildings across
> blocks of a city-scape.  Each block could contain the same buildings, but they
> would be rotated to show different facades to the camera giving them the
> illusion of being unique.  The seeds kept each block fixed for different views.
> If you develop a set of buildings you want to place randomly in your
> city-blocks, I can send you the code.  The only catch I can remember is all the
> buildings had to be a common dimension so that they easily could be placed in
> the right place and the city blocks were rectangles or squares.

At this moment I have four different villas that can be assembled in
blocks. I wrote a randomization/mirroring macro which gives me 32
different block patterns. I shall probably build a couple of additional
villas time permitting. The advantage of these villas is that they all
have the same basic dimensions (Greek were very strict with their
urbanism rules)

> I also had one that was placing random "yard" objects in a more modern setting,
> so you could have a yellow house, with a round pool and a swing.  The next one
> might be a blue house with a dog-house and a swing... and so on.  Not sure that
> would work too well in an ancient urban setting.

It is fun writing those macros. I shall probably post them in a next
version of the "Making of". Thanks for your offer; I think I can manage
for now but if I come against a problem I shall appeal to you :-)

Thomas