POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Simple Question : Re: Simple Question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple Question
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 May 2012 10:50:16
Message: <4fad2728@news.povray.org>
Le 11/05/2012 16:07, Invisible a écrit :
>>> It's not that hard.  It's the landing that's hard.
>>>
>> The initial acceleration must be done with appropriate explosive.
>> For instance, the speed of deflagration might greatly varies with the
>> kind of explosive and such speed might prove to be deadly.
>
> I believe Julies Verne wrote a book around the idea of sending people to
> the Moon by firing them [or rather, some kind of craft containing them]
> out of a cannon.

Yep, "De la Terre à la Lune"

>> The landing is then the remaining issue: it's plain gravitational in
>> action, the higher you get, the faster you fall.
>
> Terminal velocity, anyone?

If you went high enough to get terminal velocity on ground, you went too
high for a circus.

The trick for a circus is to fly long, not high. Air resistance is good
for slowing the horizontal speed, and not too high is good for not too
much vertical speed. A costum like the flying squirrel is a good one for
human-cannon.