POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry : Re: Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific inquiry
From: Invisible
Date: 11 May 2012 10:12:53
Message: <4fad1e65$1@news.povray.org>
>> The "experiment" then consists of writing down the numbers displayed and
>> the wall clock time, until the laptop switches off.
>
> If you can get a hand on a thermal camera, you might want to observe
> that laptop with it.(looking for a hotspot)

I would *love* to be able to play with a thermal camera. 8-)

I spoke to a guy the other day. His job - get this - he gets paid to
look at high-power cutting lasers using a thermal camera. How neat is that?!

> Also, have you put the laptop on a wooden table ?
>
> Have you tried leaving it 1 cm above the table (with only two linear
> supports underneath, one per side ) ?
>
> The ambient sensors might be on the bottom side, and on a wooden table,
> it can rise.

Yeah, first time was on my desk. Second time has balanced on a stack of
books with free air around the edges. I'm not completely sure where the
fan intake is though, it might still have been covered. And of course,
the body of the laptop would have been actually touching the books it
was resting on...

> If the exhaust is cool enough, what about the intake ? are they opened
> enough ?
>
> Can you run that laptop while opened to see the fan ?

I had to open the case to take the HD out and retrieve some files. I can
see the CPU heat-sink and heat-pipe. All appear to be in order. I can't
see the fan though. None of the visible vent openings look clogged. (The
laptop sits on a desk in a docking station and almost never leaves the
building. So... totally worth buying a laptop then!) I did try blasting
it with some compressed air, but that had no effect.

I might try running it with the case opened, and a temperature probe
pressed against the CPU heat-sink. (Not sure if that will cause
electrical problems though...)