POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry : Re: Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific inquiry
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 May 2012 09:54:55
Message: <4fad1a2f@news.povray.org>
Le 11/05/2012 14:24, Invisible a écrit :
> Today, ladies and gentlemen, I am performing a scientific experiment.
>
> Yes, I realise how shocking it is that a guy working for a lab company
> would actually be doing science. ;-)
>
> It's not exactly the LHC, of course. No, it's rather more mundane than
> that.
>
> The experiment:
>
> Turn on the laptop, and invoke the diagnostics tool from the BIOS
> screen. Abort the testing procedure, and let it just sit there on the PC
> health screen.
>
> This screen gives me various readings. Among them are entries entitled
> "CPU thermistor", "ambient thermistor" and "SODIMM thermistor". It
> appears that the display only updates every 60 seconds, and there is no
> way to make it update any faster, which is a pity.
>
> The "experiment" then consists of writing down the numbers displayed and
> the wall clock time, until the laptop switches off.

If you can get a hand on a thermal camera, you might want to observe
that laptop with it.(looking for a hotspot)

Also, have you put the laptop on a wooden table ?

Have you tried leaving it 1 cm above the table (with only two linear
supports underneath, one per side ) ?

The ambient sensors might be on the bottom side, and on a wooden table,
it can rise.

> Anyway, I've noticed a couple of times now that the shutdown happens
> just as the memory test is running, so I'm going to try again a bit
> later and see if I can reliably reproduce this behaviour...

If the exhaust is cool enough, what about the intake ? are they opened
enough ?

Can you run that laptop while opened to see the fan ?