POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry : Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:20 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific inquiry
From: Invisible
Date: 11 May 2012 08:24:59
Message: <4fad051b$1@news.povray.org>
Today, ladies and gentlemen, I am performing a scientific experiment.

Yes, I realise how shocking it is that a guy working for a lab company
would actually be doing science. ;-)

It's not exactly the LHC, of course. No, it's rather more mundane than that.

The experiment:

Take one laptop. Place it in the server room for 12 hours. The server

on the wall does that - as well as blowing away any bits of paper not
securely weighted down.

Turn on the laptop, and invoke the diagnostics tool from the BIOS
screen. Abort the testing procedure, and let it just sit there on the PC
health screen.

This screen gives me various readings. Among them are entries entitled
"CPU thermistor", "ambient thermistor" and "SODIMM thermistor". It
appears that the display only updates every 60 seconds, and there is no
way to make it update any faster, which is a pity.

The "experiment" then consists of writing down the numbers displayed and
the wall clock time, until the laptop switches off.

For today's run, the readings are as follows:

   Time | CPU  | Ambient | SODIMM
-------+------+---------+--------

for that is the calibration tolerance of this particular instrument). Of
course, I doubt that this "ambient thermistor" is located right on the
outside of the laptop casing.

Eventually the laptop turns off, and when you next turn it on, the BIOS
event log shows a shutdown due to a "critical thermal event". With the
CPU running at nearly the temperature of boiling water, this seems
unsurprising.

Initially the fan isn't spinning at all. By the end of the test, it's
reported as spinning at 5000RPM, which I imagine is its maximum speed.

The really weird thing is this: The laptop doesn't feel hot. At the end
of the last test, the underside was slightly warm. But not warm enough
to boil water on. Similarly, the air being blasted out of the vents at
high speed feels at best very slightly warm.

I gather that air in motion always feels cooler than it really is. But
I've had laptops that you could dry your hands with. For that matter,
I've had laptops that could cook your lap! This laptop isn't ICE cold,
but it's barely what I'd describe as "warm".

So... WTF? o_O

Anyway, I've noticed a couple of times now that the shutdown happens
just as the memory test is running, so I'm going to try again a bit
later and see if I can reliably reproduce this behaviour...