POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's that time again : Re: The question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The question
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 May 2012 04:16:58
Message: <4fa3907a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2012 09:54, Invisible a écrit :
> On 03/05/2012 10:14 AM, scott wrote:
>>> Screw fans, turn the air conditioning on! ;-)
>>
>> I thought it was only cars that cost at least half a million pounds that
>> have air conditioning in them? And that you wouldn't know anyone or ever
>> have been in a car with air conditioning?
>
> That certainly *was* the case once. Curiously, while A/C and electric
> windows used to be expensive luxuries that nobody but the Prime Minister
> could afford, today it seems that almost *every* car has these things.
> And I'm not sure how that happened... Presumably it still costs exactly
> the same amount of money to actually manufacture these things so...?

Manufacture, yes.
Conception, no.

In the production of cars, a significant amount of the price might be
due to the studies.
It uses to take 5 years to make a new car.
It means that if you produced only one item at the end, that item costed
5 years of salary of many peoples, at least.

Notice that the actual assembly does not take 5 years. It's only a tiny
fraction of the full time.

For instance, ferrari/lamborghini/... are producing in the range of 1
car a working day (or alike), whereas Renauld/Nissan/Citroen/Toyota are
producing probably in the range of 1 car every minutes.

Assuming you have a yearly model change, the former have 200 cars to get
back the cost of the studies, the latter have 100000 cars for that.

Assumes you have a low cost of studies at 10 Millions ($,€ or £) for the
5 years (very small budget).
The minimal price (not including the actual material of each car) would be:
* 50000 for the former
* 100 for the latter

Then you can add the price for the material & manufacturing.